First-Time Home Buyer Program
Supporting Home Ownership in Poway (SHOP) Program
The Supporting Home Ownership in Poway (SHOP) Program provides low- and moderate-income homebuyers with assistance to purchase a home in Poway through a Poway Housing Authority and City of Poway funded second mortgages. Homes purchased with the help of SHOP Program loans will remain affordable for a minimum of 45 years, which requires the home to be sold at a restricted resale price to qualified buyers.
SHOP loans are available to qualified applicants only when an existing single-family home financed with a SHOP loan becomes available for resale.
A Frequently Asked Question Brochure is available for download here.
If you would like to be one of the first to be notified of the next available for-sale opportunity, make sure you are on our notification list! Please call (858) 668-4551 or email email@example.com the following information:
- First and Last Name
- Email Address
- Telephone Number
- First-Time Buyer. You may not have owned a home secured by a Deed of Trust in the last 3 years. Those displaced by a divorce do not have to meet this requirement.
- Down Payment. You are required to provide a percentage of the purchase price toward the down payment and fees. The percentage is 3% for low-income buyers and 5% for moderate-income buyers. This money may be borrowed or gifted but cannot be a recorded loan.
- Credit and Income Eligibility. Your household’s total gross income and credit history will be reviewed.
- Homebuyer Education. You will be required to complete classes for first-time homebuyers. Classes include a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development First-time Homebuyer Course and a Poway Housing Authority SHOP/BEGIN Program course.
Questions about the SHOP program or the home buying process should be directed to
Marie Sanders, Senior Management Analyst,
(858) 668-4637 | firstname.lastname@example.org