An animal control officer patrols the Poway area from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week, with on-call dispatch services provided 24 hours per day, seven days a week. The City of Poway works with the San Diego Humane Society to provide the following animal control services:
- Dog licensing
- Housing lost and stray animals
- Reuniting lost animals with their owners
- Animal adoptions
- Educational programs
- Abandoned or abused animals
- Rattlesnake removal
What do I do about barking dogs?
You can report barking dog complaints by submitting an online service request to the Humane Society. The Humane Society will first send a letter informing the dog owner of the complaint and what steps should be taken. If additional complaints are received, officers will be sent to take follow-up action.
Dead Animal Removal
For removal of dead animals on streets and public property, call the Singh Group, Inc. at (760) 539-0012. On private property, removal of dead animals is handled by the property owner/resident, or may be removed for a fee by the Singh Group. Fees for dead animal removal on private property vary depending on the weight of the animal and are the responsibility of the property owner/resident.
|Other Animal Services||Phone Number|
|Fund for Animals/Wildlife Rehabilitation||760-789-2324|
|Project Wildlife (now part of SD Humane Society)||619-299-7012|
|Low Cost Spay & Neutering||619-279-5085|
Animal Control/Dog Licensing
Every dog over the age of four months is required to have a current license and wear it at all times. In order to get your dog licensed, the dog must also have a current rabies vaccination. Not only are you protecting your pet, it’s the law. Poway residents may go to the San Diego Humane Society, Escondido Campus, at 3450 East Valley Parkway, Escondido, to ensure that their pet is currently vaccinated against rabies. More information is available on the San Diego Humane Society website.
San Diego Humane Society has partnered with DocuPet to provide an enhanced pet licensing experience for San Diego residents. Pet licenses can now be purchased and renewed online at sandiego.docupet.com. This new, easy-to-use online licensing service provides a quick and easy process to license your pet.
Each DocuPet tag serves as a pet’s official license and comes equipped with the HomeSafe™ 24/7 lost pet service, which relies on a dedicated full time dispatch staff and linked pet profiles to help get lost pets home quickly.
Visit sandiego.docupet.com to license your pet now.
Benefits of Licensing Your Pet
- Lost Animals - Your pet may be returned to you immediately if lost. Hundreds of dogs are impounded in Poway each year. Only 37 percent of those are re-united with their families. A tag with a current license can be a ticket home for your fur-friend.
- Injured Animals - Your dog’s license will make it possible to contact you if your dog is injured. It could mean the difference between life and death for your companion.
- Dog Bite & Rabies Prevention - Your dog’s license is proof that your pet has been vaccinated against rabies. The rabies vaccination protects your pet and your family from a potentially deadly disease.
- Cost Savings - Every dog who has reached the age of four months requires a license. If your dog is unlicensed you can be cited and fined. It’s far less expensive to license your dog.